Next week, I will be giving a presentation on Mediterranean Art at my university, the Universitat Internacional de Catalunya (UIC). The presentation is centered on seven tales and seven masterpieces from Prehistory, Ancient Civilizations and Classical Antiquity, namely:
1. Michelangelo of the Cave (Magdalenian Culture, France & Spain)
Cave Paintings of Lascaux & Altamira
2. The Stone Idol (Saflieni Phase, Malta)
The Sleeping Lady of Malta
3. Beyond the Minotaur’s Labyrinth (Minoan, Greece)
The Bull-Leaping Frieze
4. Tragedy of the Horse-Tamers (Mycenaean, Greece)
The Mask of Agamemnon
5. Mystery of the Heretic King (Pharaonic, Egypt)
The Bust of Nefertiti
6. The Seafaring Purple Traders (Phoenician, Lebanon)
Ivory Panel with Lioness devouring African Boy
7. Till Death Do Us Apart (Etruscan, Italy)
Sarcophagus of the Spouses
Below are some questions to help you ‘warm up’ for the presentation:
– Which European cave is known as the Sistine Chapel of Prehistory? Why?
– How did a queen & 80 women lay the foundation for Carthage?
– Who were the Purple Traders that sailed the Mediterranean & founded Cádiz?
– Who was Ancient Egypt’s Heretic King?
– What Med. culture erected the world’s oldest freestanding stone structures?
– Who were the Mediterranean Vikings?
– Who were the Etruscans? Where did they originally come from?
– Who were the Hippodamoi that were conquered by a horse?
– How did the Trojan War start with Paris?
– When and why did the Classical Antiquity come to an end?